community-based, non-corporate, participatory media
Dr. Henry Maciavelli Kissinger is coming to Pittsburgh! This is a call for a Letter/e-mail camapign to RMU, and protest at Heinz Hall regarding Kissinger's speaking visit on Oct. 5
Dr. Kissinger represents the worst of US foreign policy over the past 40 years. His legacy continues in Iraq, Haiti and other places to this day. He cannot even travel to some democratic countries due to standing indcitments against him for crimes against humanity. And yet, Robert Morris University has invited Dr. Kissinger to speak at Heinz Hall the evening of October 5. May I suggest a couple actions:
1. Send letters and e-mails (letters are much better) protesting his invitation, and requesting he be disinvited, to:
Mark D. Weinstein, M.S.
Director, Public Relations & Enrollment Marketing
Massey Hall 1st
Robert Morris University
6001 University Boulevard
Moon Township, PA 15108
2. I will start organizing a protest. I will announce a date and time for a kickoff meeting shortly in the calender (and the TMC calender)
For background, I have included the text of the letter I e-mailed today and will hard-mail below:
Dear Mr. Weinstein:
I strongly urge you to reconsider inviting Henry Kissinger to speak on October 5, 2004. You must be aware of Dr. Kissinger's role as key proponent of the most murderous, shameful acts in acts in US history. These have included the following:
1. The secret bombing of Cambodia and Laos, which is believed to have killed approximately one million persons, nearly all of them noncombatants, many of them children.
2. His well-documented complicity in the overthrow and murder of the democratically elected President Salvador Allende, on September 11, 1973, and his full support, through CIA operations, of the dictator Agusto Pinochet who executed the coup. Under Pinochet, thousands were killed and disappeared for speaking out against the coup. Of this incident it is documented that Kissinger expressed his cynical disregard for democracy by stating: ""I don't see why we should have to stand by and let a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its own people?".
3. His support for Operation Condor, a CIA-supported Chilean operation to assassinate Pinochet's democratic exiled political opponents in North America and Europe. Successful assassinations included the car bombing assassination of Orlando Letelier and Ronni Moffitt in Washington D.C., the murder of Chilean General Carlos Prats and his wife in Buenos Aires, 1975, and the serious wounding of Christian Democratic opposition leader Bernardo Leighton and his wife in Rome.
4. And finally, recent documents showing his support of the Argentine military junta's "Dirty War" of 1976. This even-bloodier operation killed and "disappeared" up to 30,000 people, most for simply speaking out in dissent. The Madres de Plaza de Mayo still meet in this plaza to commemorate their disappeared and still unaccounted sons and daughters. I refer you to a recent news story here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1292614,00.html.
These charges against Dr. Kissinger are not obscure conspiracy theorizing, but are backed by numerous documents released by the US under FOIA and in Chile under their Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Kissinger himself has been unable to travel to many democracies in the world, such as Spain, because of standing indictments against him. I'm sure you have heard of the Chilean Supreme Court's recent removal of Pinochet's immunity to prosecution for Operation Condor and other crimes. Because of this, we may be hearing more about Kissinger in the near future.
Considering the above incriminating facts and the fact that Dr. Kissinger refuses to reply to questions regarding these issues in previous speaking engagements, I implore you to remove your invitation for Dr. Kissinger to speak.
Please understand that if Kissinger does speak, I intend to work hard to assure that Pittsburgh residents will be present at Heinz Hall in numbers, to peacefully but loudly and forcefully to:
1. Protest the cynical, murderous US foreign policy which Kissinger has devoted much of his life to prosecuting, which continues today with the brutal military occupation and war in Iraq; and,
2. Demand that Kissinger be brought to justice to answer for, or express regret and penitence for, his crimes.
|...||...||Wednesday, Sep. 08, 2004 at 6:31 AM|
|Informal Kick-Off Meeting||PJD||Tuesday, Sep. 07, 2004 at 6:46 PM|
|Working on it||PJD||Wednesday, Sep. 01, 2004 at 7:19 PM|
|kissinger is a pig||jan||Wednesday, Sep. 01, 2004 at 12:48 PM|
|I'm interested in helping organize this!||Ken||Saturday, Aug. 28, 2004 at 4:53 PM|